Vanilla Choc Checkerboard Cake
4.514 Ratings •
This checkerboard chocolate cake is designed to show off your skills. Watch your guests get wow-ed as you serve up a slice.
Prep time75 min
Cooking time45 min
(plus standing time)
Select ingredients and add them to your shopping list
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced. Grease and line four 18cm round cake pans with baking paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, butter, milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric beater; beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until just combined. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale. Evenly divide cake mixture into two bowls; add vanilla bean paste to one bowl and mix well. Add NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE 100% Cocoa to remaining bowl; mix well. Divide vanilla mixture among two prepared pans, and divide chocolate mixture among remaining two prepared pans; bake 45 minutes or until a skewer insertedinto the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, level cake tops.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A CAKE IS COOKED?
If you can’t determine when your cake is done, don’t worry you are not alone! Luckily, there are 3 super easy tell-tale signs to know that your cake is baked to perfection.
- Meanwhile, to make Chocolate Ganache, combine NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE Dark Melts and cream in large microwave-safe bowl; microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir; repeat in 30 second intervals until melted. Set aside until cool and thick, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble, print and cut out the template that you can download here; use the template to cut the cake into rounds.
- Coat the cut inner sides of a chocolate outer ring with a thin layer chocolate ganache and place a vanilla middle ring inside. Coat the cut inner sides of the vanilla ring with ganache and fill circle with a chocolate center. Repeat this sequence again.
- Coat the cut inner sides of a vanilla outer ring with chocolate ganache and place a chocolate middle ring inside. Coat the cut inner sides of the chocolate ring with ganache and fill circle with a vanilla center. Repeat this sequence again. You should now have four cakes each alternating in chocolate and vanilla rings.
- Sandwich the cake layers together with a little chocolate ganache, alternating layers. Spread remaining chocolate ganache over top and sides of cake.
When serving: Cut cake in half crossways across the centre to make two cakes, then slice each cake into 12 pieces.
TRY THIS TIP
TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU THINK:
GET MORERECIPESin your inbox