Classic Custard Tart
30904 Ratings •
A classic British dessert, this custard tart is so simple and delicious with a velvety custard sprinkled with cinnamon.
Prep time35 min
Cooking time40 min
(plus standing and refrigeration time)
Select ingredients and add them to your shopping list
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Process flour, icing sugar and butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs; add egg yolk and water, process until ingredients just come together. Gently knead pastry on a lightly floured surface until smooth, divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Grease four 9.5cm (base measurement) x 3cm (depth) individual round pie tins; roll portions of pastry out between 2 sheets of baking paper until large enough cut two 15cm rounds from each portion. Ease pastry rounds into prepared tins; press into base and sides. Trim excess. Prick bases all over with a fork. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place tins on oven tray; cover pastry with squares of baking paper, fill with dried beans or uncooked rice, bake 10 minutes, carefully remove paper and beans/rice from pastry case, bake a further 10 minutes. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, combine NESTLÉ Sweetened Condensed Milk and milk. Stir until combined.
- In a large bowl combine custard powder, cornflour, egg and vanilla bean paste. Slowly pour milk mixture into custard mixture, whisking. Add mixture back to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 8 minutes or until thickened. Pour into prepared pastry cases, sprinkle with cinnamon, refrigerate for 1 hour or until cooled.
TRY THIS TIP
TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU THINK:
GET MORERECIPESin your inbox