Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cake
2060.836 Ratings •
Savour layers of fudgy chocolate cake with addictive salted caramel and ganache. Perfect for birthdays and other special occasions.
Prep time45 min
Cooking time105 min
(plus standing time)
Select ingredients and add them to your shopping list
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
- Preheat oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan forced. Grease and line two 22cm round cake pans.
- Combine NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE Dark Melts, butter, sugar, water, and NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE 100% Cocoa in a large saucepan over low heat; cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate has melted. Cool 10 minutes then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Combine eggs and sour cream; add to the cooled chocolate mixture with sifted flours, mixing well; divide mixture evenly among prepared pans. Bake 1½ hours or until a skewer insertedinto the centre of each cake comes out mostly clean. (There maybe a little moist cake mixture on metal skewer when inserted into centre of cake, this is normal for mud cake - do not overcook). Stand cakes in pans 15 minutes to cool slightly, before transferring the cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A CAKE IS COOKED?
If you can’t determine when your cake is done, don’t worry you are not alone! Luckily, there are 3 super easy tell-tale signs to know that your cake is baked to perfection.
- To make Chocolate Ganache, combine NESTLÉ BAKERS' CHOICE Dark Melts and cream in medium heatproof bowl; microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir; repeat in 30 second intervals until melted. Set aside until cool and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- To make Caramel Filling, combine NESTLÉ® Sweetened Condensed Milk, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in medium saucepan; cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, about 7-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened and caramel in colour, stir though salt. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Use a serrated knife to split each cake in half; place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with one-third of the caramel filling. Repeat with two more cake layers and caramel filling. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread Chocolate Ganache over top and sides of cake.
TRY THIS TIP
TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU THINK:
GET MORERECIPESin your inbox